The task: To remove as much material as possible from a circular pocket in an efficient and tool-friendly manner. The solution: 5-axis helical drilling.
Simply ingenious: 5-axis helical drilling involves helical tilt milling. The milling tool is tilted tilted forward in the cutting direction. A second tilt helps to avoid collisions with the hole wall. This strategy is especially suitable for making an opening cut when roughing deep cavities. Material can be removed from circular pockets in a highly efficient and tool-friendly manner. Thanks to this 5-axis simultaneous machining strategy, milling tools that are not centre-cutting can also be used. The tool plunges into the material quickly, without the need for any predrilling.
“There’s no better method for removing high chip volumes in such a follow url short amount of time. Yet another example of the superiority of 5-axis simultaneous machining for such a seemingly simple task.”
Dr. Josef Koch, CTO of OPEN MIND Technologies AG
Maximum safety thanks to fully automatic collision avoidance
- Fast and efficient material removal, especially for tough materials
- Excellent for opening deep cavities using large milling heads
- No predrilling necessary
- Safe removal of chips, even in deep drill holes
- Also suitable for milling tools that are not centre cutting
- Strategy is as easy as programming a drill hole