The finishing module in hyperMILL® MAXX Machining is a highly efficient solution for the semi-finishing and finishing of planes and free-form surfaces with various barrel cutters.
Faster and better
As a pioneer in the CAM field, OPEN MIND has spent time focusing on how to use special milling tools in 5axis machining. This expertise has allowed OPEN MIND to also use barrel cutters in finishing, for example, and develop a totally unique package for this type of finishing. These strategies allow for much larger step-over distances between paths compared with conventional methods. This results in huge time savings. At the same time, surface quality is the same or even better.
Time saved during plane machining: up to 90%
OPEN MIND developed its innovative 'tangent plane machining' strategy specifically for machining the planes of steep surfaces and bottom surfaces. The conical barrel cutters used in this strategy make it possible to achieve machining time savings of up to 90 per cent compared with conventional methods. Tangent plane machining takes full advantage of the milling tool geometry in order to achieve perfect surfaces during plane machining. Intelligent automated functions ensure optimum tool orientation and fit. In this way, even hard-to-reach areas can be machined reliably and efficiently.
- Much greater step-over distances with the same theoretical scallop height
- Hard-to-reach areas can now be finished better
- Efficient and reliable finishing strategies
- With these strategies, thermal deformation of machine elements are less likely to leave an impression on the component.
- Reduced number of tools
- Possible applications: tool and mould manufacturing, aerospace, tire moulds, turbine blades and impellers
- hyperMILL® MAXX Machining supports barrel cutters. The different cutter types are available in many 5axis cycles:
- Tangent plane machining
- Tangential milling
- 5axis rework machining
- 5axis machining for impellers, blisks and turbine blades
Features/Tangent plane machining
- Strategy for tangent plane machining with conical barrel cutters for time savings of up to 90%
- Especially for machining steep or flat planes in undercut situations
- Automatic alignment and nestling of the conical barrel cutter
- Simple programming ensures a high degree of user-friendliness
- Reduced machining times with time savings of up to 90% during tangent plane machining
- High-quality surfaces
- Extended tool life
The following machining strategies are available for tangent plane machining:
(1) Machining the face
(2) Machining the face with limit
(3) Machining the limit
The face is machined with different orientations in specific areas. A high level of surface quality between the orientations is achieved thanks to a defined overlap.
The entire face undergoes 5 axis simultaneous machining. 5 axis simultaneous machining is especially effective with dynamic machines.
Bottom surfaces with undercut situations and edge areas of high walls or pocket bottoms can be optimally machined using the strategy for conical barrel cutters.
Barrel-shaped tools use a section of the circumference, allowing for very large radii. For example, the compact design of the tools allows for a cutting radius of 500 mm. Types:
- General barrel cutter
- Tangential barrel cutter
- Conical barrel cutter
The conical barrel cutter represents a completely new type of milling tool geometry that was developed by OPEN MIND. Thanks to this innovation, faces with minimal curvature can be efficiently machined.
- Greater step over distances during semi-finishing and finishing operations.
- Barrel cutters enable a greater step-over distance with the same theoretical scallop height
- Efficient production thanks to shorter machining times with the same or better surface quality
- Increased tool life while simultaneously reducing the number of tools required
- Tolerance deviations due to heat warping at the tool are reduced to a minimum
- Axial deviations of the machine are smoothed
- Simple tool definition in hyperMILL®
- Full mapping of barrel cutters, even during the simulation
- Barrel cutters with ball mill tips can be simultaneously used as barrel cutters and ball mills